I should have known to expect trouble when I tried out DataViz ActiveSync on my new G900… the first thing it said was that “in order to avoid problems, we will deactivate the synchronization towards PC Suite”. Ah well. I assumed you could get it back…
But that was not so easy. I quickly realized that ActiveSync was pointless for me, since the setup I have for my data is not “everything on the corporate server, period”, which is the usecase ActiveSync is built for. But when I told ActiveSync to stop synchronizing certain categories of data, that lock it had put up still applied it turned out. With no way I could find to turn it off. So suddenly my phone just did not want to synchronize with my PC.
The solution I came up with borders on the desperate: by completely removing the program from the phone (using the uninstall control panel on the phone) I got my synchronization back.
The only snag is that happened to move pretty much every event on my calendar that was posted as a whole-day event back one day. Which is kind of annoying and took a while to fix — especially the recurring occurences for all my friend’s birthdays and similar important recurring events had moved. Exasperating!
But now it works.